Murray Deakin has joined the firm as a partner in the tax and legal practice, PwC said yesterday.
Before moving to PwC, Mr Murray was national leader of K&L Gates' practice in antitrust, competition and trade regulation. His appointment is the latest in a series of senior legal hires made to progress the accounting firm’s push into the legal market.
Tony O’Malley, PwC’s legal services leader, said a strong, broad legal practice will help the firm to provide clients with a more encompassing service.
“Every day we see the value that a multi-disciplinary approach to legal services can bring to engagements at PwC, and our ability to respond to our clients' changing needs is a real point of difference,” Mr O’Malley said.
“Attracting talent such as Murray speaks to the fact that market-leading lawyers are ready to be part of a fresh approach to the legal services market,” he added.
Mr O’Malley said Mr Deakin's public profile and exceptional reputation for results in the regulatory arena will help build PwC's own reputation in legal services.
“I know that his expertise and prior experience operating in a multi-disciplinary environment will be highly valued by our clients,” he said.
“This industry is transforming quickly, and I am confident that Murray will play an important role in helping us achieve our vision for the PwC Australia legal services offering."
Mr Deakin's appointment is the latest of several executive senior legal hires, including:
• Simon Milne (ex-King & Wood Mallesons), executive director, specialising in regional mergers and acquisitions
• Roger Clarke (ex-King & Wood Mallesons), director, specialising in real estate
• Yolanda Chora (ex-Telstra), director, specialising in regulatory
• Robert Babb (ex-NAB), director, specialising in regulatory, corporate and commercial
• Cameron Rider (ex-Greenwoods and Freehills), partner in tax controversy
• Fiona Newham (ex-King & Wood Mallesons), director, specialising in knowledge management and corporate advisory
• Sylvia Ng (ex-K&L Gates), director, specialising in regulatory