Those who fail to lodge their returns by October 31 face potentially heavy fines and penalties.
Regional director of H&R Block, Mr Frank Brass, said H&R Block have extended open hours, nights and Saturdays to help accommodate clients with busy lives and schedules.
“If you do not have all of your information ready now, make an appointment with us and provided your lodgement history is up to date, you can register to lodge with H&R Block and have your lodgement date extended,” he added.
H&R Block has compiled a quick checklist of the most common items taxpayers need to substantiate income, deductions and rebates/tax offsets and what records are required to back-up their claims.
- Statements of all income received during the year: payment summaries, Centrelink statements, compensation and income from jury duty, hobbies and casual labour
- Sale of shares or other assets, including property
- Money received from rents, royalties, pensions and tips
- Employee shares income
- Interest earned on savings accounts and other investments
- Dividends received from shares and other investments
- Business income
- Overseas income: as an Australian tax resident you are required to declare your worldwide income
- Investment property income
- Any other income you have earned
- Union or professional dues
- Self-education expenses incurred to improve your job skills
- Uniforms, protective clothing and sunscreen
- Tools and equipment you purchased and used for work
- Motor vehicle use for work – you should keep a motor vehicle log book for 90 days to maximise your claim for motor vehicle expenses
- Use of your mobile phone for work – keep the phone accounts and keep a log for 30 days to determine the business use
- Use of internet for work – keep the internet and landline accounts and keep a log for 30 days to determine the business use
- Use of a home office for work – keep a log of the number of hours and you can claim the set rate per hour that the ATO allows
- Tax preparation fees
- Investment expenses
- Donations to registered charities